We are a community of scholar-activists who contribute research and historical context to today’s antislavery movements in order to inspire and inform activism and to develop collaborations that empower such efforts.
HAS Definition of Slavery
Our agreed-upon definition of slavery is when people are forced to work against their will for the profit of others.
Using History to Make Slavery History
HAS was founded by James Brewer Stewart in January 2011.
Matthew Mason, Brigham Young University
Elizabeth Swanson, Babson College
Nicole H. Scalessa, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Allen, New Jersey Council for the Humanities
- Nikki Berg Burin, University of North Dakota
- Stacey Jewell, Whoisstolen
- Talitha LeFlouria, University of Virginia
- Olivette Otelle, Bath Spa University
- Randall Miller, St. Joseph’s University
- Stephen Rozman, Tougaloo College
- Zoe Trodd, University of Nottingham
- Ben Wright, University of Texas at Dallas
- Robert Wright, Augustana University
Read more about our Board.